Saturday, October 16, 2010

Stop Telling Me What To Do

I have this problem where I absolutely hate being told what to do.  I'm okay with teachers telling me to do things and employers are right there with them.  But as soon as you put me in a situation where my peers feel like they have the right to tell me what to do, it makes me want to rip out there hypocritical throats.

Que roommates.  My roommates are nice enough.  We don't have too many outrageous grievances against each other, but last week one of them decided to make a chore wheel thing without telling two of us and only told the other cause its her best friend.  Cleaning the apartment is a good idea, don't get me wrong, but deciding for others on what they are going to do pisses me off more than anything.  The apartment stayed clean except the occasional build up of dishes but then one of us usually caved and did them.  For all intents and purposes, we really didn't have a problem.

Because of this wonderful chore chart, I was stuck doing the dishes this week.  If there is anything I hate more than being told what to do, it's having to clean up other people's messes.  Are you really to lazy to rinse off your own plate and stick it in the dishwasher?  And look how 95% of those dishes aren't even mine.  So I would start the dishwasher and I was usually busy when it was done rinsing so I didn't put them away immediately.  Que roommates again, especially one, who would come up to my in that sweet, I'm telling you to unload the dishwasher but it a question form and say, "Will you unload the dishwasher when you have a chance, please?"  GAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Gag me now.  Why don't you clean off the counters like you were supposed to?  Oh wait, I cleaned them off for you cause they were so disgusting I didn't want to prepare my food on them and you weren't there for me to complain to about failing in your easy task.

Oh, and the other day I made wontons.  Yummy!  Well I left some dishes out after I finished cooking but I was just in the living room doing homework and eating the wontons and had every intention of washing those dishes before I went into my room for the night.  The two roommates who had made the chart came into the apartment, and as they did, I let them know that they shouldn't worry about the kitchen, I was going to finish cleaning it once I got my poem written for class.  Five minutes later, one of them said, "I understand that you like making big meals, but could you please not leave the kitchen looking like this for the next week?"  Seriously!?  I haven't left my dishes out after one of my meals...ever.  It might take me until later that night to clean them, but that is usually because I want to finish my homework first.  I got a little snippy and told her what I said when she had first walked in but in a more snide way.  I then put in my headphones and ignored them.  Later that night she apologized to me and said she was pmsing...sorry, not an excuse. 

Chore wheels are good and all, but I feel like they shouldn't be exclusive, as in that one person is the only one that does their one chore.  I'm sorry, it never works out.  Sometimes you're gone or busy and can't do it for a day.  Does that mean it doesn't get done?  So sarah went home for the weekend, is no one going to take the garbage out for three days as we wait for her to get back?  So what, Kat didn't want to sweep today so I have to suffer by walking all over the crumbs on the kitchen floor?  No, I get my lazy butt into the closet, pick up the broom and sweep the dang floor.  Just like how I was gone all day today at work and somebody could have unloaded the dishwasher, but no, they were to busy not doing their own chores and had to ask me to unload it at 11 pm so they could not load their dishes into it.  Get over yourself and help.  If you have a free minute, do something.  Don't just complain about it and wait for someone else you to bail you out.

Moral of this story, I can hardly wait until I have my own place.

p.s. Be grateful I held my tongue.  I had many choice words I wanted to use...many of them where 4 letters.

1 comment:

  1. ahhhhhhhhhh i'd flip a lid. how bout in college every cleans their own dishes and if something communal gets so messy you can't stand it, YOU clean it. if it's bothering you, and it's not my stuff, it's YOUR problem. i'd kill them. seriously. with a sword. because i think death should be dramatic.

    ReplyDelete