Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Preposterous poem

So I had to write another poem for my class but this one was crazy.  He gave us 18 sentences that told us what to write and we had to use all of them within the poem.  It was an exercise in learning to write something a little strange.  Here is the prompt
1. Mention your worst fear.
2. Express a truth or a paradox.
3. Egregiously misquote a philosopher that has been dead at least a century.
4. Use an idiomatic phrase in a foreign language.  Translate it.
5. Put a pre 1960s movie star and your hometown in the same metaphor.
6. Put words beginning with q, z, and x in one sentence.
7. Mention an urban legend you once believed was true.
8. Describe your sadness using the vocabulary of your mother's or father's occupation.
9. Mention the Chinese year in which you were born.
10. Use synaesthesia in a noticeable way.
11. Ask a question only God could answer.
12. Quote a piece of graffiti.
13. Answer the question from 11 in a predictable way.
14. Answer the question again, this time quoting an animal
15. Apologize sincerely.
16. Mention what you would do if you were a minor god and had special powers.
17. Mention a happy memory.
18 Give good advice that masquerades as nonsense.

So that is the prompt and here is the poem.  Each of the numbers in the poem correlates with the topic above.

Stream of Consciousness

3. “It's better to have lost love
Than never to have lost at all.”
4. Meine fünfköpfinge Familie—
6. My zany five-headed family, questions
Tennyson because of their xenophobia
Of all things British.
7. Good thing Bigfoot isn't British;
Pictures of his beastly body
Litter my parents house
And until I was 21, I believed
He was real. Now that I know
The truth, my greatest fear
1. Became frying alive
In a lava pit. At least volcanic mountains,
Unlike Bigfoot, are avoidable.
9. But in the end, I would rather
Fry than freeze. I think
I got my hatred for cold
From the snake whose cold blooded nature
Filled the year I was born.
8. When I see snow on the epidermis of earth,
I feel anesthitized on a metal slab
Waiting for the defibrillation of my heart
To begin so I can warm my body
With each systolic pump.
But until the sun comes out, I remain
On bypass—cold and alone.
10. The frigidness of winter tastes
like iron just removed from a freezer.
16. If I were Aeolus, I would keep the
Southern winds moving north at all times.
5. They would come blowing, constantly and sweetly
Like the breezes in South Jordan or the soft
breath of Audrey Hepburn singing.
11. If Audrey Hepburn tried to sing in space
Would she really be singing even if she created no sound?
12. Or who watches the watchman?
13. No one watches the watchmen
And Audrey creates no music in the universe's vacuum.
14. However, the song bird says that the power of music
Is not in the creation of sound,
But in the way it can make us feel, even unsung.
2. The bird's theory may be right
For if the more we come to understand science
The more we realize that we don't understand science,
Then who's to say Audrey couldn't create music in space?
17. I had a dream once,
A dream that I was weightless like in space,
And the earth, far below me,
Had let me be free from its strangling bonds.
18. The choice to fly or fall was my own.
I could crash into mountains
Or touch the soft dew of clouds.
For those who also broke from Earth,
I should warn you that the
Choice to fall or crash is no choice at all.
15. Since I have now finished
This preposterous poem, I
Politely apologize for the
Bit about Bigfoot.
I beg your pardon
If I swayed your faith,
And to please forgive my unbelief.

I hope you got a good laugh and enjoyed it.  It was rather hard to write, but definitely entertaining having to come up with some crazy sentences.  My favorite part was using the parent's profession lingo.  The end.

1 comment:

  1. Stunning.

    And what the crap is up with the xenophobia and bigfoot remarks? Gosh, we must need psychotherapy. Good thing we have one of those in the fmaily.

    Good use of the medico babble.

    One more thing. I could not write a poem like this. I would have to look up half of the words in the prompt before I could write my first sentence...not that I could even begin to write my first sentence. I had a panic attack just reading the prompt. Inside my thoughts were screeching, "I don't know any urban legends. I don't remember any minor greek gods! Quote graffiti--I can't even READ graffiti!--oh wait, does that include BYU graffiti, which is totally not even on the same planet as real graffiti." And so forth.

    PS--since I know that you like honest critiques:
    Put the following into the same tense "Now that I know The truth, my greatest fear 1. Became frying alive In a lava pit." Could be changed to read, "When I learned the truth..." or "Now that I know The truth, my greatest fear is being fried alive in a lava pit."

    18--change 'fly are fall' to 'fly or fall'. A few lines later in #18 change "I should worn you..." to "I should warn you..."

    PSS Stunning.

    ReplyDelete